League of Legends is an online game that has reached major worldwide popularity. Despite its success, the game can sometimes give unwelcome errors.
One of these messages that gamers unfortunately face is: “An unknown DirectX error has occurred and League of Legends cannot start. Please make sure your video card is using the latest video drivers from the manufacturer.” This guide will be dissecting why this error occurs and how to fix it.
How to Fix an Unknown DirectX Error Has Occurred on League of Legends
The error may be due to a few different issues, so we have provided three methods to cover all possible problems. They are in order starting from the most likely to fix the error. The methods in this guide are designed to get you gaming again with just a few clicks.
Now, before we do any complicated tasks, we advise to try restarting your computer. Like with all technology, a quick restart can magically make the error disappear. If this does not, then please continue with the following methods:
Method 1: Reinstall League of Legends
The first two methods involve reinstalling the game and DirectX. Reinstalling LoL is easiest way to fix the DirectX error, so we will start with that one. This involves completely removing game from your device.
Here’s how to reinstall LoL:
- Go to Start Menu
- Click Settings
- Click Apps
- Click Garena – League of Legends
- Click Uninstall
- Restart your computer
- Download the LoL installer
- Launch the LoL installer
- Go through the set-up wizard to install the patcher
- Launch the LoL game to complete the installation of the client
- Once this is done, click the Launch button
- Wait until the game client is 100% complete
Method 2: Reinstall DirectX
If the error isn’t due to a corrupted game client, it can be due to a corrupted Direct X. Like the steps above, we will be reinstalling Direct X
- Type regedit to open the Registry Editor window
- Find the following key on the left pane of the Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX
- Right-click on DirectX, then click Delete
- Confirm your actions, and then restart your laptop or PC
- Download the DirectX from the Microsoft website
- Follow Microsoft’s instructions to install DirectX
- Restart your laptop or PC
Method 3: Update your graphics card driver
If the two simple fixes above do not work there is likelihood that your graphics card driver is out of date. To remove the DirectX error, we need to use the latest graphics card driver that is uncorrupted. Follow the steps below:
- Click on the Start menu at the bottom left of your laptop or PC screen, and then search for Device Manager
- Once in the Device Manager, locate and right-click on your graphics card, and then click on Uninstall Device
- Confirm your actions
- Once you’ve removed the old card driver, you need to download the new one. Go to the official manufacturer’s website and follow the guidelines to install and run the new graphics card driver
Method 4: Repair the LoL client
If all else fails, there is a chance that the LoL client contains some corrupt data. As such, we need to do a full repair on the client. This will remove any bad data.
- Open the LoL game, and then allow it to make any updates.
- Click Launch
- Open Settings
- Find and click on the Initiate Full Repair
- Follow the instructions, and then check to see if the error has gone